In 2020, marijuana industry leaders were blown away that the state accounted for about a half-billion dollars in sales in its first year of regulated operation.
Those projected sales numbers look to double in 2021, according to MLive reporting.
MLive has provided focused coverage for more than a year on the once fledgling, but now burgeoning cannabis industry. Just as it did last fall, it’s continuing to share the lessons learned.
The media company has partnered with multiple sponsors to host a “Cannabis Industry Insights” virtual forum from 12:30 to 2 p.m. on Thursday, March 11 on the business of the cannabis industry.
The series of panel discussions will cover accessibility and equity in the cannabis market, how to pitch your business to investors, securing assets and challenges associated with accounting, banking and payment.
There will also be 30 minutes for networking after the panels. You can register for the event here for $15.
The forum will be hosted on Zoom by Eric Hultgren, MLive director of social media and content, and Gus Burns, a statewide political reporter who focused on cannabis coverage since last year. The pair hosted a similar forum in October 2020.
Read more: MLive hosting virtual forum on ins and outs of cannabis industry
The panel will lead off with Andrew Brisbo, director of Michigan’s Marijuana Regulatory Agency.
Brisbo, appointed by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in May 2019, leads a staff of 100-plus members and laid the regulatory groundwork in Michigan’s first year of legalized recreational cannabis.
Read more: Meet the referee of Michigan’s marijuana industry
Business and political leaders will present their perspectives and insights, and they will be available for questions for networking after the panels. These people are:
- Matt Abbo, a partner and co-founder of DA Advisory Group
- Chris Jackson, a former political candidate in Pontiac and partner with the Sticky cannabis brand
- Ryan Lafferty, Chief Operations Officer at Kush Development Group
- James E. Tate Jr., a Detroit City Council member since 2009
- Jamie Cooper, founder and managing director of Sensi Connects, a networking organization focused on the cannabis industry
- Javier Hasse, a reporter on cannabis, hemp, CBD and pyschedelics for the Spanish language news site El Planteo. He also serves as managing director for Benzinga Cannabis.
- John Darwin, president of Unity Rd., a cannabis dispensary franchise
Sponsors for the event include DA Advisory Group, Unity Rd., Michigan Cannabis Lawyers, Hyman, Sensi Connects, the Michigan Cannabis Industry Association and Sparrow Consulting.
The event is intended for current industry leaders and business owners, as well as those wishing to be thought leaders in the cannabis trade.
Future seminars will take place this year on June 24 and Oct. 7.
Read more from MLive:
Michigan’s recreational marijuana industry celebrates birthday after ‘incredible’ first year
Marijuana drinks could be coming to Michigan
Michigan stands to gain more than $1B as recreational marijuana shops open
Medical marijuana blazed a trail for cannabis in Michigan. Now, recreational takes the lead.
Michigan marijuana industry changed, but thriving amid coronavirus pandemic